Friday, November 10, 2006



Photo: Daniel Johnston

I was having a terrible day last Thursday until the guy at Blockbuster lifted my spirits with his enthusiasm about The Devil and Daniel Johnston ("It's a strange little documentary. I've never even heeeearrrd of him!"). Turns out The Guy, as I will call him from now on, were right. It's a strange little tale about the Texas singer/songwriter's unbelievable struggle with mental illness. Definitely worth a gander.

Daniel Johnston - Things Last a Long Time
Daniel Johnston - Syrup of Tears

Apparently,
Lavender Diamond is a band and not a single person as I've always assumed. Regardless, it would be fair to say that the collective is the youngest of the daughters of the 'freak folk' family. First is Joanna Newsom, the poster child, then Josephine Foster, the misunderstood middle child, but unlike her older sisters, young Lavender simply content to sing love songs to herself while picking dandelions and getting mud on her dress.

Lavender Diamond - Emptiness is a Conductor

I've convinced Jason to jump on the blog band wagon. Hopefully he'll get his homework done and post something soon.


all my friends were vampires in a devil's town

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home